“If you want to forget something or someone, never hate it, or never hate him/her. Everything and everyone that you hate is engraved upon your heart; if you want to let go of something, if you want to forget, you cannot hate.”C. JoyBell C.
How do I stop thinking about the past and move on? You are not your past. Your future self deserves to live with a peaceful state of mind. It is time to let the past go.
Here are 15 signs it’s time to let go of your past:
1. If you don’t find the hobbies you once enjoyed pleasant anymore, it’s time to find new hobbies. Don’t force yourself to stick to activities you hate. You will only end up feeling bad about yourself.
2. If you want to get rid of something but you are worried about the money you have spent on it, it’s time to let it go. The behavior to hold on to something you spent money, time, or effort on despite how terrible it makes you feel is known as the “Sunk Cost Fallacy”. The question is, you have already spent the money. You can’t get it back so, is it wise to traumatized your mental health because of the money you can’t get back? Let it go!
3. You feel stuffed in your environment. You feel like your current space is suffocating and not bringing you any joy. It’s time to switch things around or probably move out of your existing space.
4. You are always expected to sacrifice your personal values and become someone you are not. The best way anyone can live a fulfilled life is to be themselves and uphold their personal values. Any relationship that requires you to be someone else is not a relationship you should keep investing your resources in.
5. You pretend to be happy with the current situation of your relationships or career, even though you are just miserable.
6. Deep down, you know if you continue on the path you are on, you will feel broken, depressed, and frustrated. Trust your intuition.
7. You are no longer inspired to carry on the way you used to. Let go of what is used to inspire you and ignite your curiosity for something else. Curiosity has the ability to set your soul on fire, and when your curiosity is gone, boredom set in, so switch it up.
8. If your past victories are all you talk about, it’s time to let the past accomplishments go. Nothing fails better than success, but you can change that by putting in more effort into your future endeavors. Focus on a new path if you feel you can’t do better than your previous self in your current course. Let your future victories be what you are proud to share, not your past ones.
9. Anytime you see someone in your past who betrayed you, you feel like punching them in the face. It’s time to let go of that hurt. Know that you may not forget what they did, but forgiveness set you free. So be free. Let whatever they have done go and be at peace.
10. You frequently re-live your past in your mind. The past is gone, you can’t change it with your thoughts, you can only do better in your future so free your mind of things that once happened.
11. If you are scared of leaving your current situation. It’s time to leave. It’s time to push past your fears and go for the things you want.
12. You feel you will have regrets if you don’t step up and try out that new project.
13. You desire better. If you choose a better life and a better situation, you have to be willing to let go of your current condition and go get a better one.
14. If you feel sadder anytime, you think about your life. It’s time.
15. If you are stuck with a pattern of behavior that always brings you the same awful result, it’s time to re-evaluate why and how to let go of that behavior for good.