This is an age-old question that has been asked for years.
Some health experts say 8 glasses, some say 10, and others say 12.
But the truth?
When it comes to how much water a person should drink, there is no one answer.
In fact, it all depends on what activity level they have, as well as their age and weight.
In this article, you will find out all of the information you need to know on how much water you really need to drink every day.
Let’s dive right in.
Table of contents
How much water should you drink a day?
According to the U.S. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine:
- Healthy adult men should aim to drink about three liters (about 13 cups) of total fluids a day.
- Healthy adult women should aim for around two and a half liters (about 11 cups) of fluids each.
This includes fluids from all sources, not just water.
For example, juice, tea, fruits, and vegetables also count toward your daily fluid intake.
In other words, you get about 20% of the water you need from the food that you eat, while the remaining 80% comes from drinking water.
But that’s not all…
You might need more water than just the amount listed above.
Because how much water you need also depends on:
- Your daily activity: The more you exercise or move, the more water your body will need to function.
- The temperature outside: The hotter it is, the more water you’ll lose through sweating and breathing.
- Your weight: Heavier people need more water than lighter people do because they have a higher percentage of body fat.
- What you eat and drink: Some foods and drinks, like caffeinated beverages or alcohol, actually make you lose water.
- Whether you’re pregnant or breastfeeding: During pregnancy, you lose more water due to an increase in blood volume, and breastfeeding mothers lose water when their breast milk increases.
So what’s the bottom line?
The average person needs about two and a half to three liters of water (about 11 to 13 cups) a day.
But keep in mind that this is just an estimate, as you may need more or less than someone else, depending on your specific situation.
But: Why is it important to drink enough water every day?
First, it’s important to stay hydrated because your body is made up of around 60% water.
And secondly: Staying hydrated helps keep your digestive system running smoothly.
It also reduces the risk of kidney stones, urinary tract infections (UTIs), constipation, heartburn or bloating, headaches, fatigue…
The list goes on and on.
In other words, drinking enough water every day is good for your health in a lot of ways!
What happens when you don’t drink enough water?
The short answer is that your body will let you know when it’s thirsty.
But most people don’t listen to these signals, which can lead to dehydration…
Symptoms of mild dehydration include:
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
- Dry mouth and throat
- Trouble concentrating
- Urine with a dark color
- Low urine output
Symptoms of severe dehydration include:
- Confusion or disorientation
- Sunken eyes
- Nausea or vomiting
- Cold hands and feet
- Rapid heartbeat and breathing
Tips for drinking more water every day
In today’s world, it can be hard to remember to drink enough water every day.
But by following these simple tips: You should have no problem drinking more water…
- Drink a glass of warm water when you wake up in the morning
- Keep a bottle of water with you at all times to drink throughout the day
- Set up reminders by putting sticky notes around the house or setting an alarm on your phone to remind yourself to drink more water every day
- Add lemon or cucumber slices to your water for flavor and extra health benefits
Foods that are high in water content
Foods that contain high amounts of water naturally will help increase your daily water intake.
The following food items are all very high in water and can be eaten to help with your daily intake:
- Watermelon (92% water)
- Cantaloupe (89% water)
- Broccoli (88% water)
- Spinach, cooked (83 % water per cup – 180 grams)
- Tomatoes, raw or cooked (95% water)
- Strawberries (93% water)
- Cucumber, fresh with peel and sliced into rounds, pieces, or spears (96-98 % water)
- Kiwi fruit (75-92% water depending on the variety).
- Celery (95% water)
- Orange (86% water)
- Grapefruit (91 % water)
- Apples (84 % water)
So now you know the answer to the question of how much water should you drink a day?
It’s up to you, but remember that drinking more water is good for your health!
If you want help increasing your daily intake or figuring out what kind of hydration plan works best for you, talk to your doctor.
They should be able to help you figure out how much water is the right amount for your individual body.
Don’t forget that if you’re struggling with any symptoms of dehydration, it’s important to seek medical attention immediately!
It could save your life or prevent serious damage to your health.
So drink up—and stay hydrated all day.
Keep on reading: 6 natural remedies for dehydration.