In this blog post, I’ll talk about some self-care ideas to help you take better care of yourself.
But before I share the ideas with you, let’s start by understanding what self-care is and why it is important.
Table of contents
What is self-care?
Self-care is the everyday actions you take to care for your body, heart, mind, and soul.
It’s about taking time out to do what makes you feel good so you can face life with more strength and balance.
In fact, according to the National Institute of Mental Health, “Self-care is when you take time to do things that help your physical and mental health.”
Why is self-care important?
Self-care is important because it helps you to:
- Cope with stress and anxiety
- Eliminate depression
- Deal with difficult emotions
- Boost your self-esteem
- Increase happiness
- Maintain good health and energy levels
95 self-care ideas to help you take better care of yourself
Now, let’s talk about self-care ideas that can help you in your journey towards taking better care of yourself.
I’ll share the ideas in five different categories: physical, mental, emotional, social, spiritual, and sensory.
Physical self-care ideas:
1. Do some stretching exercises.
2. Get a massage.
3. Go for a walk.
4. Listen to calming music.
5. Take a hot bath.
6. Go for a swim.
7. Spend time in nature.
8. Do some yoga.
9. Take a nap.
10. Drink plenty of water.
11. Eat healthy foods.
12. Exercise regularly.
13. Take breaks during work hours to move your body.
14. Wear comfortable clothes and shoes.
15. Sleep 8 hours every day.
16. Have a cup of tea
17. Dance to your favorite music.
18. Take medications prescribed by your doctor.
19. Get regular checkups and screenings from your doctor.
20. Take care of your personal hygiene needs.
Mental self-care ideas:
22. Journal your thoughts and feelings.
23. Make time for yourself each day.
26. Set realistic goals for yourself.
27. Talk to a therapist or counselor.
28. Take a mental health day when you need it.
29. Spend time with positive people.
30. Avoid negative people and situations as much as possible.
31. Declutter your wardrobe and home.
32. Organize your workspace.
33. Take care of your to-do list.
34. Make a plan for each day.
35. Stick to that plan as much as possible.
36. Multitask when possible to save time and energy.
37. Avoid overscheduling yourself.
38. Practice saying “no” when you need to.
39. Get rid of toxic people in your life.
40. Have hobbies and interests outside of work or family responsibilities.
Emotional self-care ideas:
41. Express yourself through art, dance, singing, music, etc…
42. Talk to a friend or family member about your feelings.
43. Write in a journal about your feelings.
44. Spend time alone to reflect on your emotions.
45. Cry when you need to.
46. Laugh as often as possible.
47. Avoid stress-inducing people and situations as much as possible.
48. Practice forgiveness.
49. Start or end each day with an affirmation that makes you feel good about yourself.
50. Do something nice for someone else every day, whether it’s a stranger, your spouse, children, parents, etc…
51. Accept that you cannot control everything.
52. Let go of the things that are out of your control.
53. Practice gratitude every day by writing down three to five things you’re grateful for in a journal or notebook, looking at photos with positive memories attached, etc…
54. Do something spontaneous once in a while – it can be an adventure or spending time with someone you enjoy being around.
55. Disconnect from electronics for periods of time each day – turn off your phone, computer, TV, etc…
56. Volunteer your time to help others who are less fortunate.
57. Join a support group to talk about your feelings with people who understand what you’re going through.
58. Do acts of kindness for family, friends, coworkers, and strangers in need every day – it doesn’t have to be much! Even a smile can go a long way when someone is having a bad day.
59. Look at yourself in the mirror every day and say something positive about yourself.
60. Express your emotions in a healthy, helpful way – don’t hold back!
Social self-care ideas:
61. Make time to call your parents or grandparents, even if it’s just for a few minutes.
62. Meeting up with friends for coffee or lunch.
63. Going to a museum or art gallery by yourself.
64. Attending a movie alone.
65. Going on a nature walk or hike.
66. Sitting in a park and reading a book.
67. Going to the library.
68. Taking a day trip to somewhere close by that you’ve never been before.
69. Joining an online forum or social media group related to something you’re passionate about – make new friends who share your interests!
70. Meeting up with a group of friends to volunteer.
71. Have a picnic in your backyard or at a local park.
72. Ask for help when you need it.
73. Call on someone for a hug when you’re feeling down or having a bad day and just need to feel comforted at the moment – don’t wait until next week!
74. Let yourself be vulnerable and open up about your feelings with family, friends, coworkers, etc…
75. Have a picnic in your backyard or at a local park.
76. Throw a dinner party with friends and cook your favorite meal.
77. Go for a walk around your neighborhood at night – it’s beautiful when all the streetlights are on!
78. Share a kind smile with strangers who look like they could use one.
79. Meet up with a friend for coffee or lunch and just chat about whatever is on your mind that day – don’t talk about anything too serious, just enjoy each other’s company!
80. Talk to family members you haven’t talked to in a while and catch up.
Spiritual self-care ideas:
81. Go to church or pray at home.
82. Reading spiritual books like the Bible, Torah.
83. Meditate with the word of God.
84. Worship and sing your favorite hymns.
85. Attend a spiritual retreat to find peace within yourself and with God – you might even make new friends!
86. Pray for others who need it, no matter what their religion is (or isn’t).
87. Thank God for everything you have in your life (even if it’s not much).
88. Say affirmations out loud to yourself every day. (Here are 55 powerful affirmations for self-love)
89. Go to a yoga class and really take the time to focus on your breathing, even if you’re not very flexible.
90. Spend time in nature and connect with the earth.
91. Journal about your spiritual journey – how has your spirituality influenced you?
92. Spend time reflecting on your life and where it’s going from a spiritual standpoint.
93. Join a Bible study group.
94. Fast from food or social media for a period of time to focus on your relationship with God.
95. Make time each day to talk to God, even if it’s just for a few minutes.
96. Take a long, hot bath with your favorite scented candles lit.
97. Have a warm bath and add some soothing Epsom salts.
98. Take a nap in the sun – make sure to wear sunscreen!
99. Go for a walk on the beach and feel the sand between your toes.
100. Get a spa package to pamper yourself for a day – you deserve it, girl!
101. Listen to calming music.
102. Watch a funny movie and laugh until you cry.
103. Wear your favorite perfume or cologne, no matter what the occasion is!
104. Go for a walk in the woods to relax your mind.
105. Get out of bed at exactly the same time every day, even if you’re tired – it will start to become automatic after a while!
Self-care is so important, especially when you’re feeling overwhelmed, stressed, or down.
These are just a few ideas to help get you started, but there are endless possibilities when it comes to taking care of yourself.
So whatever works for you, keep doing it!
And if you ever need more inspiration, don’t be afraid to reach out and ask for suggestions from family, friends, or even professionals.
You deserve it.
Keep on reading: How to Practice Self-Love Every Day