Infertility is defined as “a condition in which a couple is unable to get pregnant (conceive) after one year of having unprotected intercourse.”
Infertility is a common problem observed in about 6% of women in the age limit of 15 to 44 years.
Infertility Is Divided into Two Major Types.
- Primary infertility: Couples unable to get pregnant after having one year of unprotected intercourse
- Secondary infertility: Couples who have a history of previous pregnancy but are now unable to get pregnant.
The main sign of infertility is unable to convince after one year or more of having unprotected intercourse. In some cases, there is no other sign observed in couples except that. While in some other cases, symptoms are present.
Early Signs of Infertility in Men
1. Pain in the Testicle Area
Patients with pain in the testicular area can also present with infertility, which may be due to some common reversible causes.
2. Swelling or Lump in the Testicular Area
It is also known as varicocele is one of the common causes of male infertility. It is the swelling of veins of testes that drains it. It is a reversible cause of male infertility, but how it causes infertility in men is still unknown.
3. Sexual Dysfunctions
- Reduced sexual desire
- Erectile dysfunction
- Difficulty with ejaculation
- A small volume of ejaculated fluid
4. Recurrent Upper or Lower Respiratory Tract Infections
Infections of the respiratory tract can interfere with sperm passage or sperm production, which leads to infertility in affected men.
5. Gynecomastia (Abnormal Breast Growth)
Gynecomastia is associated with some hormonal imbalance (estrogen and testosterone), and this hormonal imbalance will be the reason for infertility in men.
6. Tiny or No testes
If testes fail to descend in the Early life period, it can result in infertility in men also increases the chances of developing cancer in later life if left untreated.
7. Increase Weight
Increased weight can also cause infertility in men due to hormonal changes or directly affecting the sperm.
Other Signs of Infertility in Men
- Loss of smell: This is connected with a genetic disorder called Kallmann syndrome, diagnosed by delayed or absent puberty.
- Decrease body hair or facial hair can be a warning sign of infertility
- Lower sperm count: Less than 15 million sperm per milliliter of semen is known as abnormal sperm count.
- Decrease sperm motility
Early Signs of Infertility in Women
Most of the infertile women do not show any signs. But there are some signs which can prove infertility in women that are:
1. Changes In the Menstrual Cycle
- There are various types of menstrual changes that can be observed in infertile Patients like
- Irregular menstrual cycle
- Absence of period
- More massive than usual blood flow
2. Painful Period
Painful periods that are severe than normal menstrual cramps that can even cause vomiting or nausea can be pathological or cause infertility in women. Check out habits that can cause painful periods.
3. The Hair Growth or Hair Loss
Growth of hair in unusual places like the face, arms, back, or chest can be the signs of infertility. It is due to an excess of male hormones and hormonal abnormalities. Thin hair or hair loss can be due to anemia, thyroid issues, or autoimmune causes, leading to infertility.
4. Sudden Weight Gain
Sudden weight gain, which can not be explained in any pathological way, can be associated with infertility—mostly related to polycystic ovarian syndrome. Learn more about the polycystic ovarian syndrome.
5. Severe Acne
Skin abnormalities like severe acne in adult females can be the leading cause of underlying hormonal abnormalities, leading to infertility. Severe acne is the main sign of polycystic ovarian syndrome, which has a significant association with women’s infertility. Here is how to recognize severe acne.
When Should You Contact a Doctor for Infertility
If you have been attempting to get pregnant without success for a year, it’s essential to see your doctor for evaluation. Blood tests, pelvic ultrasound, and a semen analysis can be done to ascertain why you are having difficulty getting pregnant.
Find out how to get pregnant quickly naturally.