When you spend too many hours sitting or repeated, heavy lifting may cause pain in the spine area. At that time, stretching your muscles or doing a combination of some exercises and stretches may help you to relax your spine. Therefore here are the top 10 stretches that relax your spine.
1. Child’s Pose
This is the most basic stretch, but it relieves back pain, and it is also the easiest stretch to perform.
- Place your hands and feet on the floor. The hands should be placed directly under the shoulders and the feet under the hip
- Bow forward in such a way your belly should rest on your thighs
- Now extend your arms in front of your body
- Focus on breathing deeply and hold on to this position for 1 minute
This will stretch the lower back muscles, which are in a contracted position, by relieving the pain in the neck, shoulders, and spine. It also helps to lengthen the stretch and align the spine. This pose will give a relaxing effect, which will help to loosen the back area’s tight muscles. It will also promote flexibility and improve blood circulation in the spine area.
2. Cat-Cow Stretch
This pose will help move the muscles in two directions, helping to relax your spine and stretch your shoulders, neck, and chest. While doing this pose, do it slowly and gently and pay attention to the core muscles.
- Put your hands and knees on the ground in the tabletop position. Your spine should be parallel to the ground.
- Press your hands and knees, and stretch your head by looking at the ceiling. While doing this, inhale deeply, that your stomach should fill with air.
- Now tuck your chin to the chest and exhale. While doing this, your spine should arch towards the ceiling.
- Continue this pattern, and during each movement, breathe well. Hold on to this position for 1 to 2 minutes.
This pose will improve the spine’s flexibility and provide a nice stretch to your hip and abdomen. It helps to lengthen the contracted muscles and soothe the soreness.
3. Knee to Chest Stretch
This pose will help to loosen the contracted lower back muscles. It will be similar to the other stretches. It helps to relax your thighs, hip, and glutes and also promotes relaxation throughout the body.
- Lie on your back, bending both the knees, and your feet should be flat on the floor
- Now bring both of your knees close to the chest.
- Bring both of your hands to rest behind your knees.
- Hold on to this pose for 28 to 30 seconds.
- To massage your lower back, rock your hip side to side and up to down.
- Now return to the straight position.
4. Pelvic Tilt
It relieves pain and tightness in your lower back muscles and will create a beneficial effect on the glutes and hamstrings. If you feel pain in the pelvic area, this pose will help you relieve the pain.
- Lie flat on the floor, bending your knees, and your feet should face the floor.
- Keep your lower back in a neutral position that your low back should feel a slight curve.
- Flatten your lower back against the floors by slightly tilting the pelvis
- Repeat this pose 12 to 15 times
5. Supine Twist
This pose will help to open the hips by providing massage to the lower back muscles. It will help to stretch the outer glutes so that your lower back will become tight.
- Lie your back on the floor, bending your knees and feet facing the floor
- Lift your right leg, flex your right foot, and cross your right ankle over your left thigh.
- Hold on for 10 to 15 seconds and repeat the same with the left leg.
6. Hand to Toe Stretch
This pose will help to stretch the lower back muscles and loosen your spine area muscles.
- Lie back and left your right leg towards the face
- Interlace your hands behind your thigh region
- Head and shoulders should linger on the ground and hold on for 10 seconds.
7. Corpse Pose
Before starting the day, doing this pose will give some relaxation by stretching all the muscles. It will help to release the tension and tightness in the body.
- Lie on your back facing the floor, arms next to your body moreover your palms facing up.
- Draw your feet slightly wider than your hips and your toes to splay out the side.
- Breathe deeply and repeat doing this pose for 20 minutes
8. Seated Back Twist
This pose will relieve the lower back pain and increases the mobility of the spine.
- Sit on the floor by placing your leg straight.
- Now bend your right knee over the left foot.
- Put your right hand on the floor and left elbow against the right knee.
- Now press your arm over the leg and turn towards your shoulder. Hold one for 5 seconds and return to the center.
9. Sphinx Stretch
- Lie down on your stomach and your palms facing down
- Press your pelvis on the floor, and your lower back should stay strong
- Gaze straight ahead and hold this pose for 1 to 3 minutes
10. Hamstring Stretch
- Sit on the ground with your left leg straight
- Maintain a flat back and touch your left feet with your left hand. You should sense a stretch behind your thigh
- Hold on for 10 seconds and repeat with other legs
If you are working continuously by sitting, you can do some gentle stretching, helping you relax your spine. In most of the works, we are using our spine, so if we do some stretches, it will reduce the tension in the lower back area and also helps to build some strength.