Have you ever heard the saying, “Positive mind, Positive vibes, Positive life”? It may sound weird and a simple play on words, but it is a compelling affirmation that subconsciously points your attention to positive things around you.
There are different types and levels of consciousness that are discussed in the world of psychology, and you can learn all of it if you google them, but in this article, we want to discuss the subconscious and the conscious mind.
- The conscious mind: is made up of your present thoughts and physical awareness of the things around you. The thing you want presently, the things you can see and the things you are very much aware of.
- The subconscious mind: is the part of you that registers your unaware thoughts and behaviors. Behaviors you are not aware of but expressed in your day to day life automatically without any thought put into it, for instance, you want to lose weight, and you consciously put in the effort. Still, you also find yourself drawn to the idea that you must finish everything on your plate even though you don’t know why. That is your subconscious mind at play. Perhaps, somewhere in your past, someone must have pointed out that you must finish your food no matter what or you grew up poor. Now that you have food, your subconscious mind is convinced that you must eat everything because you don’t know when next you will find food again, even though you presently have an abundance of food.
The beautiful thing about the subconscious mind is that it can be influenced by repetition, so if you want your subconscious mind to support your goals, teach it to support your goals by repeating the good you want to see in your life consistently. How do you do this?
Here are some ways to train your subconscious mind:
1. Listen to positive affirmations on whatever you want improvement on:
- Do you have negative beliefs about money? Then listen to positive sayings telling you how beautiful money can be and how much you are worthy of it.
- Do you believe you are ugly? That’s nonsense, and no one is ugly. God made us all beautiful, and it is our perception of how we look that causes us to believe such negativity, so listen to Affirmations tailored to loving yourself, accepting your looks, and expressing how beautiful you are.
There are different kinds of affirmations tailored to your needs. You can find hours-long statements on YouTube. Listen to them while falling asleep. Let your subconscious mind absorbs those beautiful words, and you will begin to see changes in the way you think about things.
2. Write out positive words and sayings in a journal and sticky notes
Listening to affirmations is beautiful, but you can take a step further by writing out what you want to see in your life. Writing on your devices is nice, but physically writing on a notepad and sticky note brings the words you are writing to life. There is a beauty in using ink to pen your ideas on paper, don’t miss out on that, write them out.
3. Make a heart out of sticky notes on a mirror or wall.
Stick your beautifully written sticky notes on your mirror and your walls so you can see them often and be reminded that you are awesome.
4. Recite your positive affirmations daily
Saying your positive affirmations out loud teaches your subconscious mind to pick up those positive words regularly. The more you repeat them, the more chances your subconscious mind has to believe them. Over time, you will be filled with so much positive energy that you begin to unconsciously express that to others around you.
5. Question why you think the way that you do
- Question every thought that takes hold of your mind. Why is it there?
- Who said those awful things to you?
- Why do you believe them?
Take into account who said them to you because hurt people say hurtful things without thinking. For example; The fact that your mum thinks you are a failure doesn’t mean you are, she is human and has her problems, and that has nothing to do with you. She is entitled to her opinion, and you are entitled to strive for greatness, irrespective of her opinion.
Most people will say mean things to you because they are jealous of you and they don’t like themselves. It is not your job to suffer the sins of others. So dust those hateful words off and know that you are amazing, that’s why they are jealous of you. Only people who think they are ugly call other people ugly so they can feel better about themselves.
6. Change a negative statement to a positive
Finally, replace every negative statement or word about yourself with a positive one. For instance, I’m fat and disgusting. Replace it with “I’m healthy and within my goal weight at this particular time,” and you can take it further by saying:
- My body is working for me.
- My body is beautiful.
- My body is allowed to be a smaller size over time.
- I eat the right meals that my body needs for proper health.
- I cherish my body.
- My body knows what it needs to be healthy.
- My body keeps me alive.
- My body loves me, e.t.c.
Take it as far as you want. It may sound like gibberish at first, but over time you will begin to love your body. If you are medically overweight, your subconscious will respond by helping you choose healthier food options and meal habits to keep you alive and happy.
If you need the motivation of how to be a healthy weight with the act of positive thinking, go on YouTube, there are so many testimonies on people who have tried it. It is not magic, and you are only training your mind to want and see better food and lifestyle options.
The way to teach your subconscious mind a new way of handling things is to repeat new ideas and expose the subconscious to new ways of thinking over time, and before you know it, you will be happier than you used to be.
Lastly, while you’re here, take a look at ways you can stop yourself from overthinking.