Stress is a feeling of emotional or physical tension that occurs as a result of an event or thoughts that manifest as frustration, anxiety (nervousness), or anger. Stress could be positive or negative, depending on the cause of the stress and the benefits of the stress.
- Positive stress is one that occurs due to the presence of a dangerous situation that requires you to think fast and protect yourself or when you have a deadline on a project and have to meet up with the timeline. E.t.c.
- Negative stress occurs from losing a loved one or break up with a partner or dealing with financial issues. E.t.c.
Stress can be managed in different ways.
Here are ten quick ways to de-stress right away:
1. Try meditate
Meditation is the ability to calm the storm within yourself, irrespective of what is going on around you. Meditation keeps you in the moment and in a place of peace. There are different ways to meditate:
- You can listen to a calm tone while sitting calmly and focused on the thought passing through your mind without holding on to any thought as law.
- You can use a guided meditation method, where someone is leading you through on what to do and what to focus on to clear your mind.
- You can sit calmly in a quiet place without the music of any kind and just focus on your breathing. And being aware of every sensation you can feel on your skin while letting the thoughts in your head flow through without interrupting the thought of associating with it as who you are or who you are deemed to be.
2. Listen to your favorite happy music
When you are listening to your favorite music, your brain instantly recognized as something you like and something that makes you feel happy and pleasant helps release the tension or anxiety you feel in the moment. It provides your brain with a different kind of feeling to focus on that has nothing to do with the problem at hand.
3. Self-care practices
Soaking your both feet in a bowl of water or body in a bath filled with bath salt and lovely scents relax your body from the stress of the day. It gives you a feeling of calmness and peace at the moment.
4. Go for a walk
A calm, peaceful walk away from people will keep you relax and centered in your truth.
Praying brings a sense of peace and a belief that everything will be okay because it helps you focus on the fact that someone higher than any human being is looking out for you and your wellbeing.
6. Take a shower
A warm shower on a cold day will leave you feeling warm and relaxed. A cold shower on a hot day will leave you feeling like you are in a beautiful dream. Whichever way the weather take, just have a shower, and you will feel better.
7. Breathing exercises
Breathe in and out for 5 seconds every 30 minutes to 1 hour. Focus on your breath, and you will feel the tension leaving your shoulders.
8. Write out how you feel
Writing down how you feel and what’s going on inside of you will help you release the power of the stressors over your mind.
9. Dance away your stress
Dance is a natural remedy for reducing stress. Dancing makes your body release endorphins (chemicals in the brain that serve as natural painkillers and also help improve sleep, which in turn lessens stress.
Dancing will make you feel calm, happy, and positive.
Smiling in the face of a situation that requires you to express anger, subconsciously tames your rage. This will help you to take a step back and analyze the situation in front of you properly instead of reacting out of impulse.