5 Early Signs of Aging
Skin aging usually starts in your 30s. That is when your body starts to show signs of wrinkles and fine lines. Some signs of aging are natural. However, premature aging can be caused by a variety of factors, such as sun exposure, alcohol use, smoking, stress, poor diet, and environmental pollutants. Therefore, it is important to be aware of the early signs of aging so that you can take steps to protect your skin and slow down the aging process.
Common early signs of aging
1. Wrinkles or Sagging Skin
One of the most obvious signs of premature aging is wrinkles or sagging skin around the eyes, mouth, neck, and forehead area due to a decrease in collagen production over time. This can make you look older than you actually are.
2. Age spots
Age spots, also known as sun spots or liver spots, are flat dark patches on the skin. This is caused by years of sun exposure. They typically appear on areas that have been exposed to the sun for long periods, such as the face, hands, arms, and shoulders. The good news is that sunspots can be significantly reduced with proper skin care, including daily sunscreen use and avoiding long periods in the sun.
3. Dry or Itchy Skin
As we age, our skin tends to become dryer which can lead to itching and flaking in certain areas like the elbows and knees. Dry skin can also make wrinkles more visible, which makes them appear deeper than they actually are.
4. Hyperpigmentation Along the Face, Neck, and Chest
Hyperpigmentation along the face, neck, and chest is another sign that your body may be aging faster than it should be. It is usually caused by an increase in melanin production as well as sun exposure. This is can lead to discoloration or darkening of the skin in this area.
5. Gaunt Hands
As we age, our hands tend to become thinner and more fragile due to a decrease in collagen production. This can cause them to look gaunt and wrinkled, with prominent veins showing through the skin.
Be sure to keep an eye out for any other signs of aging, such as hair loss and graying hair. By recognizing the signs of aging early, you can take steps to prevent premature aging.
How to Prevent Early Signs of Aging?
Although you can’t completely stop the aging process, there are some things experts recommend you can do to slow down the signs of aging and keep your skin looking youthful for longer.
- Wear sunscreen daily: Sunscreen is essential for preventing premature aging. Make sure to apply broad-spectrum sunscreen with at least 30 SPF when you are going outdoors.
- Drink more water: Staying hydrated is essential for healthy skin.
- Moisturize your skin each day: Moisturizing your skin helps to keep it hydrated and prevents wrinkles and fine lines.
- Avoid smoking: Smoking has been linked to premature aging and wrinkles. Quitting or even reducing the number of cigarettes you smoke can help slow down the aging process.
- Follow a healthy diet: Eating a healthy, balanced diet can help keep your skin looking young and vibrant for longer. Eating foods rich in antioxidants like fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
- Get enough sleep: Poor sleep habits can cause wrinkles and dark circles around the eyes. Aim for 7-8 hours of sleep each night to keep your skin looking youthful.
- Drink tea: Herbal tea has been found to have anti-aging benefits as it is full of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals.
These are just some of the ways that you can prevent premature aging and keep your skin looking youthful. By taking care of your skin, you can maintain a healthy and youthful appearance for years to come.
- Everything You Need to Know About Premature Aging. By Kathryn Watson. Healthline. 2019