Symptoms of Prolonged Mold Exposure

Mold exposure over a long period of time can make you feel sick. It can cause allergy-like symptoms, such as a stuffy nose or sneezing, and even cause more serious health problems like lung issues. In this article, you’ll find out about the various symptoms you might experience from prolonged exposure to mold.

Symptoms of Prolonged Mold Exposure

What Is Mold?

Mold is a type of fungus that grows in damp or wet areas. So, you’ll often find it in places like bathrooms, basements, and even on food that’s been left out for too long. When mold grows, it releases tiny particles called spores into the air. When you breathe in these spores, that’s when you may start to feel unwell.

Symptoms of Prolonged Mold Exposure

Allergic Reactions

So you’ve been sneezing, and your eyes are itchy, huh? Well, prolonged exposure to mold can definitely cause allergic reactions. Common symptoms include stuffy nose, wheezing, and itchy or red eyes. For people who are allergic to mold, the symptoms can be even worse. According to health experts, long-term exposure might make your allergies act up more often. Therefore, you should pay attention to these signs, especially if you’ve been spending time in a damp or musty place.

Respiratory Issues

Got a cough that won’t go away? Feeling like it’s hard to breathe sometimes? This could be because of mold exposure. Breathing in mold spores can irritate your lungs and make it hard for you to breathe. You might also experience a sore throat, wheezing, or chest tightness. If you have asthma, mold can make your symptoms worse. So, make sure you keep an eye out for changes in how you’re breathing.

Skin Irritations

Yep, your skin can also act up if you’re around mold for too long. You might get a rash or even some hives. Your skin might feel itchy and uncomfortable, and you may even see some red or pink spots. Consequently, if you’re hanging around damp environments, consider whether mold could be the culprit for your skin troubles.

Digestive Problems

Mold exposure can also mess with your tummy. If you’re feeling nauseous or you’re throwing up a lot, this could be a sign. Mold spores can get into your system and cause your digestive tract to go haywire. Symptoms like diarrhea or stomach cramps can show up. Therefore, if you’re feeling icky in your belly, mold exposure might be something you want to check for.

Fatigue and Weakness

If you’re feeling tired all the time, you might want to think about mold exposure. Long-term exposure can actually make you feel constantly fatigued. You might lose your energy quickly and feel weak most of the time. According to some studies, mold exposure is linked to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, a condition that makes you feel tired for a very long time.

Neurological Symptoms

Feeling dizzy? Have headaches that won’t go away? These could be signs of mold exposure, too. Mold can produce toxins that mess with your brain and nervous system. You might feel foggy, have trouble focusing, or experience mood swings. Hence, if you notice changes in your thinking or mood, mold could be messing with your mind.

When to Seek Medical Help

You should definitely see a doctor if you think mold exposure is affecting your health. Ignoring these symptoms can make the problems get worse. A healthcare professional can help you figure out if mold is the reason you’re feeling sick and guide you on how to get better.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can mold exposure cause long-term health issues?

Yes, long-term exposure to mold can lead to chronic health problems. You might experience symptoms like constant fatigue, breathing difficulties, and even neurological issues. According to health experts, ignoring these symptoms can lead to more severe conditions over time. So, it’s really important to get medical help if you think mold is making you sick.

How do I know if my symptoms are from mold exposure?

It can be tricky to figure out. You’ll usually experience symptoms like allergies, breathing issues, or even digestive problems. If you notice that these symptoms get worse or only happen when you’re in certain environments, like a damp basement, it’s a clue that mold might be the issue. However, a healthcare professional is the best person to confirm this for you.

Can cleaning up mold myself make the symptoms worse?

Be cautious here. Cleaning up a small area of mold (less than 10 square feet) is generally okay if you take safety precautions, like wearing a mask and gloves. But for larger areas or if you already have health symptoms, it’s best to get professional help. Disturbing mold can release spores into the air, making your symptoms worse.

What should I do if I suspect my workplace has mold?

If you’re feeling sick only when you’re at work, mold could be hiding somewhere in the building. You should report your concerns to your supervisor or the building management. They should inspect for mold and fix any issues found. Meanwhile, try to get fresh air when you can and see a doctor for your symptoms.

Can children and pets also get sick from mold exposure?

Absolutely, yes. Children and pets are even more sensitive to mold exposure. Just like in adults, exposure can cause them respiratory issues, skin irritations, and more. If you notice your child or pet showing symptoms like constant sneezing, coughing, or skin rashes, consult a healthcare provider for advice.

Similar Posts