Are you looking for the best exercises to lose weight at home?
Exercising at home is a great way to get started on your weight loss journey.
There are many benefits to working out at home, including:
- You don’t need any equipment or a gym membership
- It’s more convenient than going to the gym
- You can do it at your own pace
- You can do it whenever you want
Now that we’ve gone over the benefits of working out at home let’s get into the best exercises to lose weight.
1. Jumping jack
OK, I know what you’re thinking… jumping jacks? That’s a kid’s exercise!
But hear me out.
Jumping jacks are actually a great cardio workout.
They get your heart rate up and help you burn calories.
Even better, jumping jacks are a good way to boost your body’s metabolism and improve your muscle endurance.
This can help you lose weight, especially if you do them regularly.
How to do jumping jack:
- Stand with your feet together and your arms at your sides.
- Jump up and spread your legs out wide while bringing your arms up over your head.
- Jump back to the starting position and repeat.
- Do as many jumping jacks as you can for 1 minute.
2. Jumping Rope
Due to its portability, a jump rope is one of the best exercises for weight loss that you can do at home.
And if you’re a beginner, don’t worry — it’s not as difficult as it looks.
Jumping rope work on the entire body, including the legs, arms, belly, and shoulders, and get the heart rate up quickly.
This makes it an excellent choice if you want to lose weight quickly.
How to do jumping rope:
- Start by standing on the center of the jump rope with both feet together.
- Hold the handles of the jump rope in each hand, and then let the rope hang behind you.
- Swing the rope over your head and jump when it reaches your feet.
- Land lightly on the balls of both feet, making sure to keep your knees slightly bent.
- Jump again as the rope swings back over your head.
- Repeat this jumping motion for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Learn more: 7 Health Benefits of Jumping Rope
Believe it or not, squats are one of the best workouts for weight loss.
They work all kinds of muscles, including your quads, glutes, hamstrings, core, and back.
And they do more than just tone your legs.
Squats also help to improve your balance and coordination while burning calories.
When done correctly, squats can also help to strengthen your upper body, including your arms and shoulders.
Put simply: squats are a great way to lose weight.
How to do a squat:
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and your arms at your sides.
- Then, lower your hips and buttocks down as if you’re going to sit in a chair.
- Be sure to keep your back straight and your knees behind your toes.
- Hold this position for a few seconds, then return to standing.
- Aim for three sets of 12 reps.
As you get stronger, you can increase the number of reps or add weight by holding a dumbbell in each hand.
What if I told you there was a way to tone your triceps, chest, and shoulders all at once with one move?
Sounds too good to be true, right? Well, it isn’t.
The push-up is a simple yet effective workout that can be done almost anywhere.
When done correctly, it can help to build strength, improve your posture, and tone your entire upper body.
At the same time, because push-ups are a weight-bearing exercise, they can also help to promote bone health.
How many pushups should a day?
Most fitness experts recommend 3 sets of 12-15 repetitions of pushups, 3-5 times a week.
This will help you to see significant improvements in your upper body strength and muscle tone.
How to do pushups:
- Start in a plank position with your hands shoulder-width apart and your feet hip-width apart.
- Lower your body down until your chest is just above the ground, then press back up to the starting position.
- Make sure to keep your core engaged throughout the movement and avoid letting your hips sag or your back arch.
If you are new to pushups, start with modified versions on your knees or against a wall.
The easiest way to torch calories is to plank.
Planking not only helps in toning your whole body but also aids in burning belly fat.
You can do a full-body plank by keeping your legs extended behind you and your forearms on the ground in a push-up position.
Alternatively, you can also do a side plank by keeping your feet together and placing one forearm on the ground while the other arm is extended in the air.
Planking also helps in improving your posture.
You might ask, “What do lunges have to do with losing weight?”
Well, lunges work all the muscles in your lower body—quads, glutes, hamstrings, and calves.
Plus, they tone your core and improve your balance.
When you lunge correctly, you not only engage your leg muscles but also work your abs and back.
Lunges are a great way to lose weight at home because you can do them anywhere, and they don’t require any equipment.
Plus, there are many different variations of lunges that you can do to keep your workout interesting.
How to do a lunge:
- Start by standing with your feet hip-width apart and your hands on your hips.
- Step forward with one leg and lower your body until your front knee is at a 90-degree angle and your back knee is hovering just above the ground.
- Push off your front foot to return to the starting position and repeat with the other leg.
Make sure to keep your core engaged and your back straight throughout the movement.
You can also add weights to make the workout more challenging.
7. Kettlebell Swing
The kettlebell swing is a great way to lose weight, tone your muscles, and improve your cardiovascular fitness.
A kettlebell swing is a compound exercise that works your whole body.
It’s especially effective for toning your glutes, hamstrings, and core.
Plus, because it’s a cardio workout, it can help to increase your heart rate and burn more calories.
To do a kettlebell swing:
- Start by standing with your feet shoulder-width apart and a kettlebell in front of you.
- Bend your knees and hinge forward at the hips to grab the kettlebell with both hands.
- Then, stand up tall and swing the kettlebell back between your legs.
- As you swing the kettlebell forward, extend your hips and knees to generate momentum.
- Allow the kettlebell to swing up to shoulder height, then reverse the motion and swing it back between your legs again.
- Repeat the movement for 10-12 reps.
Make no mistake about it.
Yoga is a fantastic way to lose weight.
In fact, for weight loss and fitness, experts say yoga is one of the best exercises you can do.
Yoga not only helps to tone your body and build muscle, but it can also help to improve your flexibility, balance, and posture.
Additional, it’s a great way to de-stress and relax.
And, because it’s low-impact, it’s easy on your joints.
Which yoga poses are best for weight loss?
There are a variety of yoga poses that can help you lose weight, but some are more effective than others.
Here are some of the best yoga poses for weight loss:
- Downward-Facing Dog
- Warrior I
- Warrior II
- Triangle Pose
- Plank Pose
- Chair pose
- Bow pose
- Bridge pose
Learn more: 5 Yoga Poses to Lose Weight
Here is a brief table description of each exercise
|Jumping Jack||Jumping jacks are a cardio exercise in which you jump up and down with your feet together, then out to the side, and then back together again.|
|Jumping Rope||Jumping rope is a cardio workout in which you jump over a rope that is swinging around your ankles.|
|Squats||A squat is a strength exercise in which the person lowers their hips, bends their knees, and then stands back up.|
|Push-ups||Push-ups are a classic strength exercise in which you raise and lower your body using your arms.|
|Planks||A plank is a strength exercise in which you hold your body in a push-up position, but with your elbows and forearms resting on the ground.|
|Lunges||A lunge is a strength workout in which you step forward with one leg and then lower your body down so that your front knee is at a 90-degree angle.|
|Kettlebell Swings||A kettlebell swing is a compound exercise that works your whole body. It involves swinging a kettlebell up to shoulder height and then back down again.|
|Yoga||Yoga is an exercise that can help to tone your body, build muscle, improve your flexibility, and de-stress.|
Final thoughts on the best exercises to lose weight at home
Losing weight can be a challenge, but it’s not impossible.
By incorporating some or all of the above exercises into your workout routine, you can see significant results.
Of course, diet is also important.
To see the best results, be sure to eat a healthy diet and drink plenty of water.
And don’t forget to warm up before you start working out and cool down when you’re finished.