- Eating cherries every day can help lower your risk of heart disease and cancer
- Cherries can also help improve your sleep quality and reduce inflammation throughout the body
- Cherries are a good source of antioxidants and can help improve your overall health
You might not think of cherries as a superfood, but they actually pack a powerful nutritional punch. This fruit is packed with nutrients like vitamins C, potassium, and antioxidants.
So what happens when you eat cherries every day? Let’s find out.
Is eating cherries every day good for you?
Yes, cherries are loaded with nutrients that can help keep your body healthy in a variety of ways. For example, they’re a good source of fiber, which can help regulate digestion, and they’re also high in antioxidants, which can help protect your cells from damage.
In addition, cherries contain compounds that may help reduce inflammation and improve sleep quality. Here’s a closer look at some of the specific benefits cherries offer:
- Fiber: Fiber helps keep you regular by promoting bowel movements and helping food move through your digestive system more quickly. Fiber is also beneficial in helping to lower cholesterol levels and keep blood sugar levels under control.
- Antioxidants: Antioxidants scavenge harmful toxins known as free radicals, which can damage cells and cause inflammation. Free radical damage has been linked to a number of chronic ailments, such as heart disease and cancer.
- Inflammation: Inflammation is a normal response by your body’s immune system to protect against infection or injury. However, when inflammation becomes chronic, it can contribute to a number of health problems, such as arthritis, allergies, and cardiovascular disease.
- Sleep Quality: Cherries contain melatonin, a hormone that regulates sleep-wake cycles. Melatonin may help you fall asleep more quickly and promote deeper sleep. Deeper sleep is important because it allows your body to fully rest and repair itself overnight.
- Help You Lose Weight: Because they’re a good source of fiber, cherries can help you feel full and satisfied after eating them. This can help you eat less throughout the day and eventually lead to weight loss. Additionally, the compounds in cherries can help boost your metabolism, which also aids in weight loss.
- Cherries Can Help Lower Your Blood Pressure: The potassium in cherries can help relax your blood vessels and lower your blood pressure. Potassium is also essential for maintaining a healthy heart.
How many cherries should you eat a day?
Most experts recommend eating at least 1-2 cups of cherries per day to reap the most health benefits.
Can anything happen if you eat too many cherries?
If you eat too many cherries, you may experience digestive issues like gas and bloating. You may also get diarrhea. So, it’s important to eat cherries in moderation.
Eating cherries every day is a great way to get your daily dose of vitamins C, as well as fiber and antioxidants. What’s more, cherries may also help lower inflammation, protect heart health, and improve sleep quality and duration. So go ahead and enjoy a cup of fresh cherries—your body will thank you!
ALSO READ: 9 Health Benefits of Eating Watermelon